Wednesday, August 4, 2010

I still like the dentist


After the craziness of school, a new job, vacations, and our good ol' dentist being in Australia for a month, we were FINALLY able to schedule an appointment to get my wisdom teeth out. I can finally stop stressing about the fact that I could feel my teeth coming in, and that some of my teeth were shifting. And a big hallelujah chorus to the fact that my supervisor was able to give me the time off (she's pretty maxed out this month on letting people off).

To all the ghastly looks I received about not going under...to you all I say "YOU GUYS ARE PUSSIES." in all humor of course ;) The anesthesiologist my dentist works with wasn't available until September so we went the oral sedation route.

Tuesday night it began. I had two little valium pills. (me joking to mom "look, it looks like hearts in the middle!" mom: "I think it's V for valium" oh that makes sense. haha). (picture from addictionhelpline.org....don't worry....i'm not addicted ;) )

I took them, and definitely started feeling very calm
and lazy. It was an odd feeling when I had to get out of bed and go to the bathroom in the night. By the morning I think they wore off since I kept waking up and started feeling nervous again.

An hour before my appointment I took the ones they had in another little packet for me and this liquid stuff that wasn't too tasty. Hydroxyzine or something like that. After those kicked in I was definitely feeling pretty lazy beforehand. And off we went to the dentist office, ipod in hand, so I could turn up the volume if I didn't like the noise....which ended up not really working since without looking... I couldn't really switch to a different song when I shuffled because of not knowing where to touch the screen. Besides the point.

The girl that was assisting put a breathing thing on my noise, I think she just said it was oxygen or something...I don't even know...it was probably laughing gas. and then strapped the blood pressure monitor to my arm, which would randomly pump up and check it throughout the ordeal. And put the thing on my finger....it was really random hearing how fast my heart was beating on the monitor. Twice beforehand my dentist had her give me more meds to make me more sleepy, but I didn't really notice much of a difference.

Anyways, the worst was getting the numbing shots. Man, the ones to the roof of your mouth are a BEAST. Then I sat back and enjoyed the ride while they tinkered in my mouth. They filled my cavities (after years of being able to say "cavity-free!" my mouth has betrayed me), and then started the extracting. It wasn't bad at all and before I knew it, it was "1 down! 3 to go!" He seemed to have to give a little bit more push on one of the bottom ones....but it didn't hurt, so I just dealt with it.

I guess since I didn't go under, I didn't have the experience of being knocked out when I got home. I actually started The Sound of Music before any napping, however when I at some point suddenly woke up and realized I was to the dance scene and practically missed most of what I loved, I had to rewind. haha. But eating ice cream and stuff was fine. I even ate some banana bread that night, and definitely swelled up over the next few days. Drug-wise, I was very normal....didn't have any crazy thoughts, or anything abnormal out of my mouth. It made my jaw clicking extremely sore to open my mouth all the way.





When the girl asked me if I wanted to keep my teeth I gave her a hearty nod of my head. Look at the cute little box. Do you think the tooth fairy still comes around for wisdom teeth? ;)

1 comment: